If you love cheese, bacon, and all things pasta, this recipe is definitely for you! I made this dish for dinner today after tossing all of my favorite ingredients into one pan. My husband loved this dish so much, he told me I should share what I did. This recipe was totally made up based on my cravings today. So if you have any suggestions after trying this recipe, please do share! I hope you enjoy!
5-6 strips of uncured bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
8 oz of cheese tortellini (I used this organic cheese tortellini)
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
2 tbsp of garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups of fresh spinach
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 cups organic heavy whipping cream
1 cup shredded truffle gouda cheese (I used this cheese purchased from WholeFoods)
Shredded parmesan cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Pre-chop your bacon into 1/2 inch cubes and set aside. Finely chop your onions and set aside. Rough chop your parsley and set aside. Mince your garlic (or use the pre-minced garlic) and set aside. Shred your gouda and parmesan cheese and set aside.
2. Place a pot of water on the stove to boil in preparation for your tortellini. Season generously with salt.
3. As your water comes to a boil, take a large skillet and heat 1 tsp of olive oil over medium heat. Add bacon, and cook until your bacon becomes slightly browned. Then add onions and garlic and stir occasionally until your onions are translucent and your bacon has reached its desired crispness.
4. You may start to notice a few brown bits forming in your skillet from the bacon. While your skillet is still hot, deglaze your pan by adding some white wine (I used Chardonnay due to its buttery notes). Continue to stir your pan ingredients and add your 2 cups of heavy cream, season with salt and pepper to taste and stir. Slowly stir in your shredded truffle gouda cheese, then add your spinach and parsley. Continue to stir until combined.
(NOTE: If you cannot find the speciality truffle cheese, try using a smoked gouda cheese instead and replace the olive oil in this recipe with a truffle oil to sauté the bacon in.)
5. While your bacon and cream sauce are cooking, the water in your pot for the tortellini should come to boil. Add your tortellini, and cook until it is al dente. Drain liquid and fold in tortellini to your sauce in the skillet, top off with fresh squeezed lemon juice from 1/2 a lemon and give your dish one final stir.
6. Once combined, serve hot and top with freshly grated parmesan and garnish with parsley. Enjoy!